Sunday, July 1, 2012

The transformation of my dog into a ... D O G ...

For those of you who know Koenig, you all know he's not particularly gifted in social, dog-dog manners. Since he was tied in a back yard for the first year of his life, he missed out on some CRITICAL socialization time.

I always thought I'd never be able to make that up, and he'd be a slightly retarted dog in social setting. By saying he's slightly retarted, I mean he can't read other dogs body language. His body language is VERY dominant/alpha. He'll posture, and T off to another dog. I honestly think he has no idea what he's actually saying with his body. Koenig is also incredibly vocal. With me in training, while playing, while meeting other dogs. He's just loud. Really loud. Snarly, grumbling, growing... and he really doesn't mean it, if you watch his expression- he just does not know better! 

In the 2 years I've had him I've socialized the CRAP out of him. He's been everywhere with me. (Including bizarre places like underground Seattle) He's met thousands of dogs, in controlled circumstances. He's been to hundreds of dog parks. I can't let him play at those dog parks, because I don't trust him- he's going to unintentionally pick a fight. One (idiotic) lady even hit him with a Chuck-it across the spine because he was chasing her dog, and she felt he was after it in a malicious way. Boy, was I pissed... anyhow- I've let him 'play' with several dogs. Usually bitches, that won't take any nonsense from anyone. The dogs I let him get rowdy with also have some very good obedience, and I know if things begin to get out of hand, both dogs would be able to be 'called off'. My goal with all of that was to let Koenig get knocked around by a bossy girl dog, and learn to be polite. 

Didn't really help. He's still a punk. Under control? Yeah. Polite 'normal' doggy manners? Heck no. 

...until...

We brought home Aden, our now 15 week old English Shepherd puppy. Aden was the 2d largest in the litter from birth, and always held her own once her littermate brother outgrew her. Man, she's kicked Koenig's butt! She could share large pieces of meat with him (pork legs) where previously Koenig had shown some guarding of his food with other dogs. Aden can take a toy right out of his mouth. The first few weeks Koenig would get to rough and Aden would yelp and roll over, or simply lay down- after that honeymoon period she started showing the REAL dog she is, and when Koe gets rougher then she likes she comes back at him! A little black and white ball of fury and teeth! 

In the 5 weeks we've owned her, she's made Koenig into a dog that acts like a dog. He's better with strange dogs. He can play with dogs 1/8th of his size. I'm shocked. I tried for 2 years to 'fix' this, and a 22lb puppy did it in less then 5 weeks! 

Recently I brought home a Pekingese puppy to foster. Tiny little thing- maybe 10lbs soaking wet. Koenig's a total gentleman with her, and the pup actually prefers Koenig's company to Aden's. 

I'm thrilled. He's finally growing up!! 

(now if the dang toe would just heal, and I could work the brindle beast again)

No comments:

Post a Comment