Sunday, June 10, 2012

Herding!

Took the 'kids' herding for the first time in 2 months with Koenig, and first time ever for Aden last night. Also had my 7 year old with me .


I love Ewetopia- it's a place where dog are happy, people are happy, and the livestock is happy. Logan generally gets to take a dog herding, generally his best buddy Breve', and 8yr old Rottweiler bitch. Last night he got to herd with Brev, AND do some obedience with the most adorable Sheltie ever. Logan's working on rewarding dogs more frequently... Breve' will work with him just for the sake of working. The Sheltie needs a bit more praise and treats! They did great though- what a pair! Logan also got to work with another Sheltie, who's known for being 'not so nice' with kids- Joe (head trainer) said frankly 'Logan, this dog might bite you, come here.' For those that have never been to Ewetopia and don't know Joe, he would NEVER set up my child to get bit. It was a closely supervised situation, and it ended up with the Sheltie (who didn't like kids) leaping into Logan's arms, and sitting in his lap. :) Everyone wins!

Aden did fabulous herding. I did get a video, I might get it onto YouTube tonight. (This isn't her blog though. ;) )

The brindle. Well... he was a Dutch. We had 2 runs, the first run started off very excited and 'up'. He was loud, fast, and happy. Eventually he settled down into some very very nice work. He had his drive down enough where he could walk along on the heels of the stock. He was giving me nice downs, and waits, and steadying up when I asked. I was pretty happy. I know dogs retain herding lessons much much better then obedience or other training (herding is natural for them, after all!) but it always shocks me just how much they do retain. I haven't taken him herding for 2 months. At the end of that first session it looked like we'd been working daily.

The 2d session we worked on 'lifts' A lift is where my dog circles wide around the sheep, and brings them to me (ideally calmly, in a straight line) Koenig starts on the opposite end of the arena, and has to circle out and wide to not scatter the sheep. It's hard, and it's something he's really got to THINK about when he's working. First few were a bit wild, but OK... and then he decided to blow off a 'STEADY' command. He opened his mouth, and shoved his entire face into the largest sheep's ass. I'm sure he jammed his neck. He didn't yelp, and I made him keep working. After 5-10 steps he developed a pretty good limp. I think he also jammed his foot into the sheep's hoof or leg. (Mind you, this is a sheep that is higher at the back then my waist. He's huge. Sometimes stubborn.) His toe/nail looked bent, but we certainly couldn't end the lesson on that note. 2 or 3 lifts later, we quit for the night.


This is what we had when I felt it. Very swollen, but I wasn't going to palpate it until I was home, and Koenig was muzzled. 

That outside bent toe is broken at the smallest phalange. Bummer dude!!!! I don't want to pay a vet $300 + for an Xray, and a diagnosis of a broken toe, to be advised to put him on cage rest, so I reset the toe as best I can (it's pretty crunchy in there...) and taped it up. He'll be on light duty for quite awhile, and as much cage rest as I can handle. 6-8 weeks, hopefully he'll be as good as new. 


Damn dog. If he'd just listened to my STEADY command, and slowed up a bit, all of this could have been avoided.... Ahhhh, the joys of owning a Dutchie. 


No comments:

Post a Comment