Saturday, January 14, 2012

Herding Brindle Doggy!

No, no new herding news right now.... but herding hopes!


I've talked with my go-to smart woman that has titled many herding dogs, and she's also (conveniently) the lady that's worked Koenig on stock the most. In March, my SchH club (Wait... that's IPO club now, I suppose) is hosting it's annual Herding Instance/Capability Test. Above the HCT title is the JHD. Junior Herd Dog. I'd REALLY like Koenig to eventually be a well rounded (titled) dog, and have worked in several different areas by the time he's old and broken. Schutzhund (or COURSE!) Agility, herding, weight pull, possibly carting, with the help of my superduper herding lady friend. In agility he's got an obvious talent, and I've been told (by my super-duper friend) that he has what it takes in herding as well. This gal has told me that she thinks he could be a Herd Trial Champion, eventually.... That is something NO Dutch Shepherd has EVER done before!!! :D How cool would that be!

SO, Herding test in March. This is going to mean weekly, or bi-weekly trips out to our herding place once they reopen at the end of January. As broke as I am, if I save my tips, I can afford it.... and it sure would be neat to add another title to my 2 yr old, rescued dog's resume.

What do you all think? Those of you with 'working' dogs- do you have any interest in titling them anywhere other they your proclaimed area of interest?





Why'd you put away my sheep, Joe? I wasn't done yet!!!!

3 comments:

  1. I'm a bit bored this afternoon (and it's fun to find comments on your blog!) so I'll comment here too :D

    Personally I'm not into titles. Don't know why, but they're just not my thing. I think part of it may be that so many titles (across the board in dog sports) seem to be watered down these days so anyone can get them. Some agility venues give out NQ ribbons for dogs that ran but the runs didn't qualify. That really makes me go, huh?

    I don't want to knock them because it is a good thing when people get out and do things with their dogs, and if titles help with that then great! and if they're your thing and you're having fun with your dog, awesome - I'm happy for you!

    I think if I were interested in titling (hey, I might change my mind some day!!), I'd focus for a couple of biggies or something that was really meaningful for me. Collect the lower level ones along the way, but the end focus would be something major. If I wanted to try something else, I'd try it for fun but probably wouldn't try to get a title for it - to me it's more about the journey and just having fun with my dog. The bond I build with my dogs along the way is what I'm working for!

    ReplyDelete
  2. More then collecting titles, so me it's about that big goal.... but a setting a title as a goal gives me a clear guideline of what I need to train/work on/study next, on my way to achieving that goal.

    Schutzhund for example- of course going all the way to IPO3 is our goal. There are clear steps along the way, and others little things we'll cross off the list as we go. (An AD for example, possibly an FH) Agility- I'd LOVE to get him to MACH status.... but Agility is going to be something that will have to wait until SchH is over. I just don't have the time to cross train two sports like that. My dog could do it, but I can't! Herding is SOOO different then the control and refinement we need in SchH. Not saying that herding does not need control and refinement, because it sure does, but it's very different. I'm letting my dog do the work, mostly by instinct, with some guidance on HOW to go about getting his job done along the way. The control I've achieved in SchH already has given Koenig quite a boost herding- he's got a stop, down, and recall in the short time we've been going out to see the sheep. The two can easily combine at least for us.

    I don't think the title is about the title- at least for us. It's just a checkmark, that I'm staying as busy and active with my very active dog as possible! Titles are not everything, but it's an easy way to explain to non-dog folks what you do with your dog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the way you outlined - stepping stones to a goal. If I wanted to title in a sport I'd probably view it much the same way.

    Yeah any sort of stock work is so totally different. With most training you're shaping the behaviors from the ground up. With stock work, it's more like how do I set this up to make my dog successful while they're figuring it out from instinct (all the while dancing around behind the sheep trying to do your part and maintain some control of the whole situation letting your dog know when they're doing good and correcting when they're wrong ... :o WHEW)

    I hear you on the dog being better equipped than the handler. I have a feeling that mine are a bit limited due to their handler... At least they don't complain too badly!

    ReplyDelete